Questions to ask your attorney:
This list is intended to provide initial guidance to you if you are considering hiring a lawyer. The list is not exhaustive and there will be other questions specific to your legal matter that you should ask the lawyer.
Here is a checklist of basic questions to ask before you hire a lawyer:
- How long have you been practicing in this field or area of law?
- What experience do you have handling legal matters like mine?
- Do you have time with your caseload to help me with my case and how long do you think my case will last?
- Will you be responsible for my case or will it be assigned to another lawyer or a paralegal at your firm?
- Are there other ways for solving my legal problem?
- What is the likely outcome in my case?
- How will we stay in touch as the case proceeds (email or phone) and when can you be reached?
- Will you consult with me before making major decisions about the case and keep me up-to-date on significant developments in the case?