The MSBA's Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Presents
"Rediscovering and Reinventing Local Bar Association Legal Fee Arbitration Programs "
ADR Section Council members Allan Witz and Patrick R. Burns will lead a panel discussion about some of the most underutilized ADR programs in Minnesota.
Topics will include:
• ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct calling for the implementation and use of legal fee arbitration programs by lawyers
• a brief survey and incomplete history of legal fee arbitration programs in Minnesota
• the unique and sometimes complex procedures and realities of navigating the legal fee arbitration process
• legal fee arbitration as a mandatory process for lawyers but optional process for clients
• uncovering answers to why the programs are not being utilized
• the transition of district bar legal fee arbitration committees and procedures to include the regular use of mediation as an option or required step prior to arbitration
• incorporating community mediation centers in the resolution of legal fee disputes
Patrick R. Burns, Lindquist & Vennum, LLP
Martin Cole, Director, MN Office of Lawyers Professional Responsibility
Martin Cole is the Director of the Office of Lawyers Professional Responsibility and the Minnesota Client Security Board. He has been employed in the lawyer disciplinary system for over 28 years and has been Director since April 2006.
Allan Witz, Witz Law, PA
1 hour of Standard CLE credit approved
(event code: 177102)
Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Time: 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Location: MSBA Offices
600 Nicollet Mall, Suite 380
Minneapolis, MN 55402
The Section will hold a brief business meeting at 12:00 p.m. with the CLE beginning at approximately 12:15 p.m.
Section Members: Free
MSBA Members (But Not Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Members): $10.00
Non-MSBA Members: $15.00
Law Students: Free
Join the Section and attend this CLE at no additional cost (section membership runs through June 2014 - that's four free months of membership!): $37.00
Teleconferencing is available. Please indicate this option when registering or contact Jennifer Carter prior to March 8. Instructions will be emailed to you on March 11.
Refunds will be processed for cancellation requests received in writing on or before noon on the registration deadline. Requests should be directed to the event contact person listed at the bottom of this notice. Cancellation requests received after this time are not eligible for refunds. You may send a colleague in your place if you are unable to join us and the registration deadline has passed.
Requests for an exception to this policy should be directed to Nicole Battles, Section Services Director, by e-mail or at (612) 278-6336.