The MSBA's Immigration Law Section Presents
"Immigration Options for Investors & Entrepreneurs: Featuring EB-5 Investment Based Permanent Resident Petitions and Other Options"
If you are looking for immigration strategies for investors, this is the CLE for you. The program is designed to bring you up to speed on some of the EB-5 investment opportunities in the Upper Midwest, the legal requirements and the latest developments in the EB-5 Investor program, as well as, a summary of other immigration options if the EB-5 program does not fit the needs of your investor client.
EB-5 Program Legal Requirements and Legal Update: This panel will provide something for the beginner and the expert covering the legal basics of the EB-5 program and also provide an update of the latest legal developments in the area.
- Stephen Yale-Loehr is of counsel at Miller Mayer (http://www.millermayer.com) in Ithaca, NY, where he primarily practices EB-5 law. He also is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association’s Investor Visa Committee. He also is executive director of Invest In the USA, a trade association of EB-5 regional centers (http://IIusa.org).
- Laura Danielson is the chair of the Immigration Department at Fredrikson & Byron. She has been an immigration lawyer since 1989, is a frequent speaker at national and international conferences, and teaches immigration law at the University of Minnesota Law School. She is co-author of Immigration Law in a Nutshell and is a member of the Alliance of Business Immigration Lawyers (www.abil.com).
EB-5 Investment Options: Regional Centers & Businesses: This panel will discuss the essential aspects associated with the EB-5 investment. Two representatives of Midwest Regional Centers will discuss the details of their individual regional center programs. Clayton Wendt will discuss what investors should look for when buying a business for EB-5 purposes.
- Taher Kameli, President of the Chicagoland Foreign Investment, EB-5 Regional Center.
- Rodrigo Cintra, International Marketing Director for the Center of Innovation, EB-5 Regional Center application pending.
- Clayton Wendt, Business Broker, at Sunbelt Business Brokers for 8 years. Prior experience in technology and management of high-tech start-ups.
Other Immigration Options For Investors: This panel of experts will discuss the other immigration options that might be available for investors and entrepreneurs such as Es, Ls, and Hs.
- Edward Hayward is a partner at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP with more than thirty years of experience dealing with cross-border transactions and investment, U.S. business immigration law, and litigation matters worldwide.
- Robert Webber is the principal attorney at Webber Law Firm, LLC. He has worked with large and small employers on various kinds of employment-based immigration options including L-1 “new office” filings and E-2 treaty investor visas.
- Beth E. Carlson is an immigration attorney with Faegre & Benson LLP. Beth has practiced business immigration law for over 10 years. In addition to processing all types of temporary work visa and permanent residence applications, Beth also advises employers on I-9 and E-Verify compliance. Beth has specific expertise in outstanding researcher and extraordinary ability permanent residence applications. She also assists employers and their foreign national employees on complex travel-related issues.
This is a Joint AILA MN/Dakotas Chapter and MSBA Immigration CLE
Schedule for Morning CLE:
8:00 a.m. Registration & Continental Breakfast
8:30 a.m. Introduction
8:45 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
EB-5 Investment Options: Regional Centers & Businesses
- 10:00 a.m.-10:15 a.m.
- 10:15 a.m. -11:00 a.m.
EB-5 Program Legal Requirements and Legal Update
- 11:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Other Immigration Options For Investors
-11:45 a.m. -
Q & A
3 hours of Standard CLE credits applied for
Date: Thursday, February 4, 2010
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Location: MSBA Offices
600 Nicollet Mall, Suite 380
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Section Members or AILA Members: $45.00
MSBA Members (But Not Immigration Law Section Members): $55.00
Law Students: Free
Non-MSBA Members: $60.00
Teleconferencing is available. Please contact Kim Basting at email@example.com