2013 Advocate Award Recipient:
Richard L. Pemberton
Pemberton Sorlie Rufer & Kershner, PLLP
Each year the Minnesota State Bar Association Civil Litigation Section presents the Advocate Award to an individual who has made a significant contribution to improving the system of civil justice in Minnesota.
Among the factors considered by the MSBA Civil Litigation Section Governing Council are whether the nominee:
- brought about structural improvements in the civil litigation system
- advanced the cause of under-represented groups in the civil litigation system
- demonstrated a commitment to the civil litigation system over years of service
- furthered improvement in the civil litigation system without receiving appropriate recognition
This year the MSBA Civil Litigation Section presented Richard L. Pemberton with the 2013 Advocate Award at their annual meeting on April 23, 2013 at the Town & Country Club in St. Paul, MN.
Richard Pemberton accepting the
2013 Advocate Award
Hon. Mary Vasaly, 2013 Civil Litigation Section Chair, and Richard Pemberton
Charlie Bird recognizing Judge Vasaly for her leadership as Section Chair 2012-13
District Court Opinions Project
The MSBA is gathering district court opinions that can be placed into a database accessible by MSBA members. We invite MSBA members to submit opinions for inclusion in the database in the areas of civil litigation, family law, labor law and employment law. We are looking for noteworthy opinions on various types of motions including, but not limited to, the following:
- Dispositive motions
- Motions granting or denying injunctive relief
- Motions to amend to add a punitive damages claim
- Motions to compel and discovery orders
- Motions for protective orders
- Motions for sanctions
- Motions to stay (i.e., a pending arbitration or appeal)
The opinions you submit should provide sufficient analysis of the law and/or particular facts to assist in the evaluation of how a particular judge considers and rules on substantive and/or procedural issues.
If you have an opinion to submit, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submitted opinions will be reviewed to determine if they will be included in the database.